Originally called “Toogoolawah” meaning heart shaped, Bulimba was a flat swampy …

Originally called “Toogoolawah” meaning heart shaped, Bulimba was a flat swampy peninsula extending into the Hamilton and Bulimba reaches of the Brisbane River. According to the Place Names Board the meaning is unclear. Bulimba may derive from the Aboriginal word ‘bulum’ meaning magpie lark, and ‘ba’ meaning place of, ie. place of the magpie larks (or peewees). In 1849 David McConnel bought 173 acres which he cleared and in 1850 commissioned Andrew Petrie to build a house which he called “Bulimba”. McConnel grew cotton, wheat, barley and yams. Wharves were built on both sides of the river and a ferry/coachman was employed to transport goods to town. Within four years most of the peninsula… More

May be an image of tree and outdoors


Click here to view the original post.

Related Posts